To me lasagna is my favourite comfort food. I’ve tried the lasagna that replaces the lasagna noodles with zucchini, and frankly, I wasn’t a big fan. But this one is tastes just like a regular lasagna! It’s mainly made out of cheese, so it’s very keto friendly and delicious.
I always need to prepare a big portion, because Oswaldo always goes for seconds with this one.
This recipe takes about 30-40 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to cook. You will get 4 servings of lasagna.
For the lasagna noodles:
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)
For the lasagna layers:
- 1 lb / 500g ground beef
- 1 onion
- 2 cups of marinara sauce
- 1 tbs coconut oil or olive oil
- 4 cups shredded mozarella cheese
- 4 oz / 100g ricotta cheese
Start by preparing the lasagna noodles, this is the same recipe as the keto pizza crust.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add all cheese dough ingredients into a food processor. Blend until evenly mixed. It should have a thick liquid consistency. If you do not have a food processor, you can mix by hand (see notes).
- Pour cheese batter into prepared baking pan. Use a spatula to spread batter across pan.
- Place into middle of oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until surface is no longer wet and is firm to the touch.
- Set cheese noodles aside to let cool. While noodles are cooling, prepare your meat sauce.
- In a large skillet, add onion and ground beef. Cook on medium heat until meat is browned. Drain excess fat from pan.
- Add in Italian seasoning and marinara sauce. Reduce to low heat and cook at a simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Evenly slice your cheese dough into thirds. Your slices should just fit into an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan. (see photo in post for reference)
- Add a thin layer of meat sauce to the bottom of an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan. Add first noodle layer over meat sauce.
- Add 1/3 of the remaining meat sauce across first noodle layer. Spread 3 tbsp of ricotta cheese across. Sprinkle 1/4 mozzarella cheese across.
- Repeat with second noodle, meat sauce, ricotta, and mozzarella.
- Add third noodle. Top with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle on remaining mozzarella. If desired you can add a pinch of dried herb seasoning to the cheese. I like to finely crumble a pinch of dried oregano and add it to the cheese.
- Bake lasagna in the middle of your oven at 350F for about 20 minutes. If you wish to get some color on the top cheese layer, set your oven to a low broil (after the 20 min bake) and let the cheese bubble and blister for about 2 minutes.
- Let lasagna cool slightly before slicing and serving. If desired, sprinkle on some finely chopped fresh basil, oregano and parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese before serving.