Who doesn’t love chocolate mousse right? We found the perfect keto friendly recipe at only 3g of net carbs a cup! This recipe is quite easy to prepare and you only need 4 ingredients.
ABOUT THE CHOCOLATE
Just like the recipe for the keto peanut butter cups, we use 100% cacao chocolate. If you taste this chocolate on it’s own, you’ll notice that the taste is very strong, because it’s unsweetened and pure. That’s why we added 1 cup of erythritol to it, to give it the right amount of sweetness.
ABOUT THE HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM
When you buy the heavy whipping cream, make sure that it is unsweetened, high in fat and preferably organic.
This recipe takes about 30 minutes to prepare. You will have 6 portion of chocolate mousse.
1 portion (100g)
Calories: 376 kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Fiber: 3g | Net Carbs: 3g |Protein: 8g | Fat: 27g
- 5.2 oz / 150 grams of 100% cacao, unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup of powdered erythritol
- 3 eggs
- 8.7 fl oz / 250 ml of heavy whipping cream
- Start by heating up the chocolate ‘au bain marie’ (double boiler).
- Separate the eggs. Add the yolks in a medium sized bowl and add 1/2 cup of powdered erythritol. Whisk them with a handmixer until they start to look foamy. Set side.
- Add the leftover of the erythritol to the egg whites and whisk them until they spike. A little trick to know if they are stiff enough, is to turn the bowl upside down. The egg whites should be firm and not fall out of the bowl.
- Add the heavy whipping cream in another medium bowl and whisk them with a handmixer until stiffened.
- Add the melted chocolate to the the whisked egg yolks and mix them together with a spatula. Add the whisked heavy whipping cream. Add the stiffened egg whites. Mix everything well together. You can use the handmixer to mix everything together for about 1-2 minutes.
- You can refrigerate the mousse in the bowl and then use it as a filling, or go ahead and portion it out into cups before refrigerating. It will take a good 3 hours to completely firm up, but is significantly firmer after 1 hour. Mousse will keep well covered and refrigerated for up to 5 days.