Have you ever had ‘bird’s nests’ ? That what my grandma used to name them. She would make these for me as a kid, and I loved them. She taught me how to prepare them, but I made some adjustments so they stay keto friendly. Like switching out the flour with parmesan cheese.
INGREDIENTS (3 SERVINGS)
- 3 eggs
- 1,5 kg / 53 oz. ground beef
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Beef seasoning (1 tsp paprika powder , 1tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp tumeric powder)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- Tomato sauce seasoning (black pepper, sea salt, Italian seasoning, dried parsley)
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 onion , cut in small pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Boil the eggs in hot water for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime season the the beef with the beef seasoning, salt and pepper.
- When the eggs are done, peel them and set aside. Preheat the oven at 190 C/ 375 F.
- Take 1/3 of the seasoned ground beef , shape it into a ball and flatten it out by pressing it onto a flat surface. Lift up the flattened ground beef and wrap the egg with the beef. Shape it until the egg is fully covered. (see video for details).
- Roll the balls into the parmesan cheese on a plate so the surface is covered.
- In a large pan, melt some butter over medium to high heat, and cook the meatballs until the outside starts to brown.
- Place the meatballs in a baking dish, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the tomato sauce: in a medium large pot, melt the butter and add the onion and garlic. Add the tomato sauce and seasoning, let simmer until the meatballs are done.
- Carefully cut the meatballs in half and serve with the tomato sauce and your favourite vegetables.
This post may contain affiliate links, which helps keep this content free. (full disclosure)