This recipe takes me back to my childhood. It’s something we ate in our family during the winter and it just tastes so delicious.
Savoy cabbage is a winter vegetable and one of several cabbage varieties. It is thought to originate from England and the Netherlands. It’s packed with nutrients such as vitamin C which is beneficial for the immune system. It’s also a low carb vegetable: only 3g net carbs per 100 grams.
The original recipe is made with mashed potatoes, so I replaced them with keto friendly mashed cauliflower. Traditionally it’s eaten with sausage but you can also combine it with fish like salmon or cod.
INGREDIENTS (2 -3 portions)
- 1/2 savoy cabbage
- 1/2 cauliflower head
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tbs butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 4 sausages
- Start by cutting the cauliflower head into florets and cook in a steamer or boiling water until soft.
- Cut the savoy cabbage and rinse with water.
- Melt 2 tbs of butter in a large pot on medium heat. Add the savoy cabbage, water, salt and pepper. Stir and let it cook for 15-20 minutes on medium-low heat.
- In the meantime, prepare the mashed cauliflower: in a medium sized pot melt 2 tbs of butter on medium heat and add the minced garlic. Stir, add the cauliflower and lower the heat.
- Mix the cauliflower with a stick blender or a food processor. (you can also use a potato masher) and add the sour cream, salt and peper.
- Mix the mashed cauliflower with the prepared savoy cabbage with a spoon and stir until everything is blended.
- Prepare the sausages in a pan on medium heat and place them on a plate. Add the mashed savoy cabbage and enjoy!
RECOMMENDED COOKING TOOLS
This post may contain affiliate links, which helps keep this content free. (full disclosure)